Sunday, October 4, 2009

Comfortable...

Imagine yourself... comfortable. Close your eyes and imagine you are somewhere peaceful (your version of peaceful.. no one else's). Like for me, an overstuffed, soft leathered armchair. The kind that are not big enough for two people but big enough to sit with your legs stuffed up beside you, or hanging over a big arm. A blanket, a cup of coffee or maybe tea and a book. A window... sunlight but cool out. A scent... either a candle or a bowl of pinecones.. who cares...
Ok, do you feel that. Comfort... ease.... relaxed.... familiar...

Now, make that feeling into a person. Do you have someone who makes you feel that way. I do.
Its "My Sandra". She is that person that I have known for the longest.... next to my sister. We have shared a million good times, and a half million tough times.
We are so much alike... inside and outside. Our husbands use to think it was creepy how much we were alike when they first got to know the both of us... and we laughed a lot about how we are alike. But as we have gotten older and have different lives and different experiences and different families... we sometimes seem very different. Sandra and I see the differences... silly things.... she hates gardening and the flavor of pumpkin. She is afraid of cats and mice. She loves MacIntosh apples, I love Cortland. She is soooo unselfish, and ALWAYS puts others before herself.. ALWAYS, not just 50% of the time... not 75% of the time... but 100% of the time. She just knows the right things to say to someone who needs to be spoken to, good or bad. She thinks she doesn't but she does. She's a softie, & pushover when it comes to little kids!!! I saw that first hand this weekend!!! She bought a LARGE bag of skittles for a 4 year old's movie treat.. and even put them on her pancakes in the morning!

We are so used to thinking and being the same way, that when the differences pop up, we have to chuckle and point them out. I think the differences were always there, but we chose not to recognise them years ago. It was like we thought if we were different from each other, we might not match so well... I think we still match perfectly, we have learned to embrace the differences!

I spent the weekend with Sandra, her two boys, her very special hubby, her adorable poodles and the ugly lizards (but cute in their own way). We chatted, we coffeed, we pruned bushes, we Costco'd, and we babysat two little cousins... an eight year old boy and a 4 year old DIVA girl. We made homemade pizzas with hamburger and hotdogs on them for supper. We watched kid movies (hence the large bags of candy) and I watched Wii games, PS3 (or whatever its called) shooting and driving games.... and I marveled at the amazing talent you need in these hand eye coordinating games... geesh.... We had homemade pancakes for breakfast, a round of Dora coloring, and a cool lounge on the deck while the little cousins entertained us on the trampoline. It was like we lived next door to each other, you know. Just a non occasion visit.... a drop in for coffee sort of feel. It was like we do this every weekend.... and it felt wonderfully....

Comfortable

I miss My Sandra already.

5 comments:

GailM. said...

What a fun time you two had. You went Costcoing, nice. I'd love to go to costo sometime. I think we're getting one here in Freddy Beach next year.

mvm said...

Aww, what a beautiful post Donna. I had tears in my eyes reading it because I know just how you feel. It's so important to have a best friend.
M:)

tdp said...

Nice post! I am glad you still have such a special friend in your life.
I am surrounded by some wonderful people here in the Valley but I still miss my friends from away.

Sandra said...

I had no idea where your post was going but when you were describing the comfy chair I was agreeing with everything....smiled when you mentioned the sunlight because that would always be included in my version of comfortable and then I scrolled down and......you made me cry!!! I love you to pieces - thanks for that post, it was beautiful. (not all true of course, but beautiful) :)

cpm said...

I've heard you talk of "my Sandra" so often over the years and it makes me happy that she makes you so happy! I'm glad you had such a nice weekend together. I'd like an updated pic with matching clothes though! LOL!