Saturday, April 11, 2009

Easter Perogies

Well, I have so many things to blog about..... but today... we make perogies.


We were suppose to go to Keji with a bunch of friends for a hike and of course food... but rain and pending "Heavy Snow fall Warning"... sort of took the fun out of that! Last night, after Jill and I cancelled our Keji trip, I was in a dilemma on what we should do on Easter Saturday. The kids, remember years gone by, suggested making donair meat, lets make cabbage rolls, and perogies, and lets make flatyres too... ugh... so much standing.... blah. So, I agreed to perogies, donair meat and cabbage rolls!


The big difference this year is the kids were way more interested in actually making the stuff. They got their hands dirty, once I showed them the technique!!!

First... donair meat... 5 lbs (but after its cooked.. 4lbs of it) Its an old recipe from Tom, and we made it all the time, years ago, but we really haven't made it in ages... so it was time for Scott to learn how to make it.

Into the oven for 2.5 hours on a slow roast...









Next.... perogies...
Terry and I have been making perogies since we were teenagers. Neither of us are Ukrainian but we have had the pleasure of growing up in a mosaic neighbourhood, which allowed us to try all kinds of nationalities of food.. and we learned how to make it all too (through Terry's mom, who is an amazing cook!)





Our kids have been making perogies since they were little too, and we have bought every type of "contraption" to help them with making them, but in the end, we all elect to use our hands and pinch the ends with our fingers....






Scott and Michelle learned how to make and knead the dough......then, Michelle took over from me in the rolling out department (my least favorite part) and then Stephanie, Scott and Sean created perogies.. Terry's usual job, is the boiling part, and the odd time Stephanie's job is the boiling person.



130 perogies later, we have enough for everyone to take some home with them, if they make it to Monday!


Cabbage rolls tomorrow morning......

3 comments:

ancient one said...

All things I have never eaten.. I clicked on the cookbook, but it wouldn't get larger.. so I'm guessing you,re keeping that recipe to yourself... Looks like you all had fun...

cpm said...

I LOVE Perogies and would love to learn how to make them! Can you teach me one day? First banana chocolate chip muffins then PEROGIES!!! I learn so much from you. xo Looks like everyone had fun and it certainly was a whole family affair...plus loot bags for your kids to take home! Yummers!

GailM. said...

When I was south, I bought potstickers in the frozen food section. This was after I saw Rachel Ray make them. They were so good. There was a dark sauce with them. Yummy. I think the Perogies are the same thing. I'd like to learn to make them too. I've made your donair recipe. It's so good! Did you say cabbage rolls... are you making some. Are you making some for me. I thought you only made them for when I visit... Are you coming for a visit! I'm all excited now.