Thursday, July 17, 2008

Still More Wildlife...still no camera

The company is gone, the house is clean, supper is planned and I am sitting on the deck with my book and pink beaded bookmark and my pink lemonade.The little birds are hopping about, cautious of Mollie who is sprawled out on the pink blanket on the deck, oblivious to the birds. Our hummingbird feeder sits about 3 feet from the back door, in a new location since last year (after the awning went up). There has been lots of beeping this afternoon from the little darts and just once in a while one of them will land on the feeder and drink for just a second and then leave. I am always amazed at the miracle of hummingbirds and always seem mesmerized when they are feeding. I also stop and watch them, and marvel at how tiny they are. This whole activity was taking place, and I had put down my book to watch the little red throated black hummingbird take a long and leisurely drink and then he buzzed around a bit, instead of darting away. I watched for a second and then he darted right at me, not by mistake but right to within 6 feet from me. He stopped and hovered... looking at me. I spoke to him, and called him Pins... "Hello there Pins", how was your lunch? To this, he darted right at me.... at break neck speed, enough for me to put my book up for protection. it was for only a second and then he retreated back to the 6 foot mark again. You visualize 6 feet in front of your nose, and see how close he was. Then visualize 3 feet and that's how close he came again. He hovered again and I let out a little nervous giggle, put down my book in embarrassment and didn't he do it again. I let out a little squeal, but that didn't even stop him. He retreated but only to about 5 feet. Now I was getting nervous. He didn't give me time to recover this time and he buzzed in again, 2 more times and then he retreated back to the bird feeder. I watched him very nervous and confused. Then it dawned on me that I was wearing a Burgundy tee shirt and maybe I was a yummy color... He buzzed by for a final look and then zipped off. This left me quite confused and then I thought about how stupid I must have looked being afraid of a little 2 inch zipper! Geesh.....10 minutes later he was back at the feeder and then came over to me again. This time, I was brave and friendly, and waved my book a bit to let him know I was HUMAN, not flower. He didn't seem all that scare actually.... But he hovered, I watched and we were one with nature... until he decided to bully me. He darted at me about three times but only moving a foot from his original hovering spot. I was clearly feeling threatened by this little smart dart so I clapped my book open and shut to discourage him.... little bugger! He left and so did I! and Mollie, again, slept through the whole exchange.At supper, I told the story to Terry and he said it must have been the color of my shirt.... and I agreed. It wasn't that he thought I was beautiful and flowery.... or that I was a phenomenon that could communicate with birds.Yesterday, another awesome day, same scenario... book, lemonade, bookmark...dog... birds....Actually, I changed the hummingbird feed that was in the feeder, to freshen it up, just because, maybe the little guy was complaining to me that the food was blah.... so, the only difference was that the food was fresher. And, you guessed it, little Mr. Pins came back. I know it was him, because he had the same routine as the other day. He went to one dispenser, then the other and back to the center one. You get to know these guys after a while if you watch them as much as I have. He drank heartily and I know he enjoyed the fresh food. He buzzed again around a bit then came to me again. He didn't waste any time, this time, he didn't hover long, he just came right at me... he buzzed to within two feet of me and then back. This time, I whipped my book up over my face, cause I was shocked and afraid.... geesh. He did it at least three times before I swapped at him with my book. He left then, and so did I. But friends, this time, I was wearing WHITE.Do you think he was threatened by my beauty... or do you think he has claimed by deck as HIS territory! Me thinks he is in for a battle. Today, while I am reading my book.... I will be armed... with my camera, and I will be Custer... and I will stand for MY deck. (while video taping his attack). I will be brave, I mean, what damage can a 2 inch bullet do!

5 comments:

GailM. said...

Leave it to you to try to think like a hummingbird. I agree, you're in his territory. They're agressive aren't they. I had a hummingbird try to get sap out of my freshly painted red toes as I lay sunning myself on a lounger. So, they're not all that smart... but obviously your little birdie was seeing red for some reason.

Anonymous said...

LOL - I love it. I can't wait for photos and a video!

Anonymous said...

Bring on the video Donna.. you're list of encounters with wildlife continually grows and it's lovely that you share them with us, your adoring public. KofO

Anonymous said...

Mary said...
David thinks your hummingbird may have a nest nearby.

ancient one said...

That is so funny... maybe he was after your lemon ade? I would have left the deck after the first dart at me... big chicken that I am..LOL