Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Wildlife.... and no camera

Over the past week, I have had several death defying brushes with wildlife and haven't had time to blog about it, and sadly had no camera at the time.
Last week, while my company was still here was my first brush! It was a sunny, calm morning and Terry had just left for work, around 7:30am. Kelly was sitting on the couch facing me; I was in the armchair facing the kitchen/hallway. Gillian was sprawled over the couch, like a groggy octopus. Kelly and I were chatting about stuff and that's when it happened. I sweet little 8 inch chipmunk came bouncing up the steps, and sauntered into the kitchen. Very calmly, very relaxed, like he had been there millions of times before. I, in turn, calmly looked at Kelly, and asked if she knew where my cat was. My first thought was that Pika and brought him into the house, somehow.
Now, if we drift back in time, I need to tell you that, last summer, Michelle swore (passionately) that there was a chipmunk sitting on the craft room floor, while she was on the phone down there. We never saw it. We searched for weeks..... left food out even...nothing. Again, this winter, Dad (along with Sonny) both saw a little critter on Mollies bench UPSTAIRS in the livingroom, looking longingly out the window at the snow covered yard. Ok, Dad was mostly blind, and Sonny was.... just old. We searched again. Nothing, but both Dad and Sonny, also swore passionately that they saw it. Sonny even chased it down the hall to the bedrooms!
So, back to now. Kelly said she didn't see Pika at all this morning, but she could tell by my face that something was up. I lip whispered to her that there was a chipmunk in the kitchen, to which she stood straight up, ready to either help or run, I wasn't sure. Just then, the phone rang... which I answered... sort of in the fashion of James Bond, in the middle of a gun fight! It was Kim and I immediately passed the phone off to Kelly and instructed Kelly to go open the back door and I would chorale the little chippy out the back door..... so picture us, both in jammies, Kelly on the phone whispering to Kim, as to not scare our little intruder, and I am tip toeing around both to not scare him, and to keep all this action out of Gillian's ears because we didn't need that excitement either. Between us, we watch as he darts around the kitchen, now aware that he is discovered. He comfortably darts back out the kitchen and down the basement stairs...on his way, trying the bottom of the door to escape. Great idea, I figure, so I rush down the steps after him, both to keep an eye on where he goes, and also to open the door (which wouldn't stay open). He stops at the bottom of the steps and watches me, as I hold the door open and try my hardest to lift a 50 lb planter onto the door step to hold the door open. After that was accomplished (remember, in my jammies), he darts down into the craft room. Here are my thoughts.... James is sleeping downstairs in once of the rooms off the craft room.... we already woke him up the day before, by throwing a giggling pig on him while Aubrey video taped him. I didn't think he needed to have a panicked chipper run across his chest this morning. Then I thought, with all the crap in my craft room, that little bugger could hide anywhere, and actually, maybe he lived down there, from last summer..... ewwwwww!!!!! I tiptoes down the steps, while he watched me... I wasn't planning on losing sight of him either. He inched back a bit, but still not too afraid that he had to hid. I inched my way around the corner and quietly shut James' bedroom door. The little chipper knew what he had to do. He could see the front door open... he had to get past me to freedom and I didn't want to be in the way, but I wanted to keep him in my sight. I pressed my back against the wall, to give him clear passage, and he made his move... just as Kelly hollered down the stairs.... I had to answer because I didn't want her coming down.... but that caused panic in the little guy and he darted right at ME!!!! AHHHHHHHHHH
I started clapping my hands to startle him and he ran back into the craft room..... I told Kelly to stay there and not let him come up the stairs... I could hear her then.... starting to panic.... Then we were all quiet... he pranced 6 inches and stopped. pranced 6 more inches and stopped. And then, with lightening speed he bound up the stairs and out the door to freedom. We both laughed (Kelly and I) and wondered how he got in, and how all this 5 minutes of excitement could transpire without Mollie and Gillian even knowing! We are good!

So, was he there all winter... or is there a secret little door somewhere that lets these little critters in and out of my house!

Tomorrow... another wildlife adventure... this time... a hummingbird named Pins

6 comments:

GailM. said...

OMG - how exciting. Maybe he was living in your sewing room.... gesh... I think I hear something in my sewing room now...

Anonymous said...

I really did want to help.. the fight instinct won out over the flight instinct. I was willing to throw young children in harms' way though. Great story Donna.
K of O

cpm said...

Great description Donna...felt like I was part of the action! lol! Glad he's FREE!!!

mickermoodles said...

I KNEW IT!!! He WAS there all summer, that little nutter! OF course he knew where to go, he is in that house more than I am these days!

Anonymous said...

I know anything could live in my craft room and I'd never know it! By the way, this story would make a great children's book!

Anonymous said...

And I didn't believe that he existed....

Too funny!