Saturday, July 4, 2009

an Enlightening Saturday morning

My Nanny Adele would talk for at least an hour on the phone to me, every day... sometimes more than once. I was a young mom, of two busy kids, in the days without cordless phones. Oh, I would listen to her with the phone tucked under my chin, doing dishes, making suppers, chasing the kids. On occasion, I would put the phone down to search out one of them, or go get something that was out of reach..... I loved Nanny, but oh, some days it would get so frustrating.. but saving grace.... was Kingston Ontario would have tons of thunderstorms. Nanny was nervous of them and felt if she was anywhere near the phone during one... she might get zapped through the phone~! I lived closer to the lake and could often hear the thunder come rolling up the lake before she did, and when I could get a word in edgewise, I would announce that I could hear the thunder. That would be the end of the conversation... for a bit. I loved thunder storms then, because I didn't want to hurt her feelings by telling her I was too busy to talk (listen)... so this was my way out. I feel bad now about feeling that way...

Well today.. she would be hiding under her bed! Terry and I sat in the living room with our coffee and chuckled about sweet ole Nanny and her thunder theories. My work plants are spending their first day outside today and are enjoying a refreshing cleanse of rainwater to clean off the winter dust! I brought them all home yesterday.. as Monday is my last day for the summer! Yipee...

3 comments:

GailM. said...

Yep, that's thunder. No rain or thunder here in Freddy Beach yet. Your yard is looking so lush. One more day of work, yippee!!! I know you'll be so sad...but don't worry, the summer will be gone before you know it..

cpm said...

Quite the thunderstorms indeed! Whoa! All four of us were cuddled in bed this morning watching the sky light up! It was spectacular!
Now you have me to talk (listen) to...but at least you have a cordless phone! lol!

ancient one said...

She was lonely and wanted company... what worries me is my mom doesn't call me as much anymore.. Another old friend passed away... I really miss her calls... but if I hear it thunder or see a streak of lightning... I'm off the phone...LOL