Saturday, May 31, 2008

Saturday...


Saturdays... they can be as different from each other as oil and water. I haven't blogged in at least 3 Saturdays and most people around here know why.

Just two Saturdays ago, I recieved a phone call very early in the morning from my dad's doctor. She called with news of my dad who had been admitted to the hospital just the day before with an infection in his foot that has swelled and was pretty red. She called to say he had a terrible night and things were not good. That was the last night that he spent alone in that hospital. From that day forward, between my sister, brother and I, every waking and sleeping moment was spent at his side so he would never been alone. His terrible night was plagued with dreams of being here at home and calling for people to help him get into his own bed. It broke my heart to hear this, but the real news was that he was failing rapidly. The infection compromised his kidneys and that compromised his heart and it just got worse from there. And just one Saturday from today, my sister and I sat with dad on a sunny Saturday afternoon as he took his final breath. We sat close to him, holding his hands and told him we loved him and he slipped away into a peaceful calm.

And today, Saturday again. A beautiful day at my sister's cottage, doing yardwork and gardening before our long drive home to spend the first day alone in our home since dad arrived several years ago.

Saturdays....

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Donna.

My mother and I were so sorry to hear about your dad. We have good memories of him. Our thoughts are with you and your family.

Jackie

cpm said...

oye! that was a hard one to read.
what a peaceful way to go though surrounded by the ones you love most...he's was so lucky to have you.
now stop gardening and get home...I miss you!!!

Anonymous said...

Dearest Donna - what a heartfelt blog. Your father was a wonderful, funny man who was blessed to have been able to spend his final years with you and your family. I know that his passing will leave a huge void in your house ~ some changes can be so difficult. Remember that I am only a phone call and a block away!
Debbie

GailM. said...

In Dad's last moments with us, he gave us a great gift that we'll always remember. I'm crying as I read your blog and how much I admire you for taking such good care of Dad over the years. You are the best sister a sister can have. I love you.

Anonymous said...

I am crying as I read this, Donna. I can't even imagine how hard it all must have been. You took such good care of your Dad over the years. I am so glad that I had the chance to get to know him.

Josee said...

Donna,
I so sorry about your dad. What a great life you gave him in your home with your family. I hope some day soon, when you look around your house, you will be able to see all the great memories you have of him. Take care and I am thinking about you.

Sue said...

Dearest Donna
I knew that your Dad was not doing well the weekend I was home. I spoke to Terry on Sunday and as we talked, I hoped no one in the frozen food isle at Sobey's could see me cry. I kept an eye on the Herald and read his obituary last week. How wonderful it has been for you both to have had this time together. My thoughts and prayers have been with you and your family. I wish I could have been there. Take care,
Love ya, Sue

Anonymous said...

Donna, please know that we are thinking about you and missing 'Papa' Ernie. We will be there next month with hugs in person. Love Kelly, James, Aubrey and Gillian

ancient one said...

Donna, I was sorry to hear of your loss. I know you will miss your dad.
Love!!!