Sunday, February 22, 2009

Pending Storm...UPDATE

So, in all my blogs this winter, I don't think I mentioned all the storm days we have had this year. In a usual year, our school is cancelled about 5 to 7 times due to bad weather or poor roads. The policy here in Nova Scotia is that children's safety comes first and if its trecherous for buses, its also trecherous for parents and teachers to be on the roads, and therefore school is cancelled and neither teachers or students have to come to school. Secretaries and support personel do have to go to work, unless they cancel "worksites" which usually happens halfway though the day or not at all.
Working at school without interuptions from phones, kids, parents and teachers is like going to Disney for me. Its a dream come true and the absolute most productive days I could ever have. I love them, most of the time.
Here's the thing. This year... so far, we have had 9 storm days.. and we have another week of February and the whole month of March to get though!!! I have worked 7 of those storm days.. and now.. even I am getting sick of them. We have not had a full week of school since the second week of January. Here's the other thing.... 4 of those days were planned inservice days for our school. We are trying to complete a program called "Accreditation" where we have like 7 or 8 days were we work towards outcomes and the deadline is March 31. We have only had 4 of those days... the rest have been cancelled, rescheduled, cancelled again, and rescheduled.
Last Thursday... not only did we have an inservice cancelled due to weather.. but I had a lunch planned for 40. This was a fundraiser lunch for Breast Cancer of Lasanga, Ceasar Salad, Garlic Bread and 3 desserts.... 35 people have signed up for lunch and it was cancelled as well. Not much was lost, as I had time to put the sauce in the freezer and every thing else will keep because we have rescheduled our inservice and lasanga lunch for this Monday coming...
Guess what... another storm is coming tonight... 15-20 cms of snow, freezing rain over night and 10 more cms tomorrow...
Stay tuned!
Well, here it is.. a snow day. They took about 15 minutes to decided that, and so therefore, sauce came out of the freezer and into the microwave.. and I jumped into the shower... planning my lunch for 40 in my head as I shampoo'd.
Imagine my shock when I sat down with my cup of coffee to hear... Kings County cancelled... and Annapolis County is open..
The ultimate in crazy...since our school is 1 km from the border...
Well, I am off to work.. a quiet day today..hopefully.
Lasanga on Friday....

3 comments:

cpm said...

Insane isn't it?!? Who would have possibly predicted this? I have been thinking of your lasagna for MORE then a week...I want to eat your damn lasagna already! ha!ha!

GailM. said...

The weater predictions are pretty bang on, aren't they. I looked a the Freddy Beach webcam, and it's a whiteout there..

Unknown said...

I'll be just as happy as you are when this winter is over. I'm so tired of looking at snow. We had more this past week and more coming up this week. Oh the joy of it all.